Engineering & Technical•
Join a top employer and advance your career. Aplin has partnered with a Calgary-based company to hire a Research & Innovation Chemist.
The Research & Innovation Chemist - Stimulation & Production Chemicals leads and supports technical elements of R&I projects utilizing strong innovation, product development, and research skills to advance team and department objectives. This team member will work independently and collaboratively to design and execute technical projects and tasks from benchtop testing to product commercialization. This role encompasses all types of technical duties but not limited to scientific research, product concept refinement, raw material sourcing, product formulation, benchtop prototype development, experimental design, and analytical testing.
Benefits & Perks:
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Lead the development of various chemical additives and systems, with experience in Stimulation or Production chemical formulations.
- Conduct various specialized stimulation related tests e.g., Rheology, lubricity, surface tension measurements, emulsion tests, corrosion tests, etc amongst others. Prepare technical project reports, interpreting and documenting results, and make knowledgeable recommendations.
- Independently plan, schedule, and conduct work requiring non-routine judgement in the evaluation, selection and adaptation of scientific techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Demonstrate creativity and mature judgement in solving scientific problems.
- Demonstrate ability to improve efficiencies by reducing costs, investigating alternative materials, suggesting new machinery to improve throughput or quality and identify and reduce bottleneck areas.
- Provide field support when implementing new technology at customer site.
- Understand Company Solutions Health and Safety manual including all Laboratory specific safety procedures and policies. Demonstrate safe working practices, keeping the workplace clean and uncluttered.
- Write internal technical reports and contribute regularly through publications or presentations.
- Assist in the general operation of a formulation laboratory, including maintenance of SOP’s, training of other staff, equipment set-up, maintenance and troubleshooting, and the management of lab supplies and equipment orders.
- Follow policies, procedures and goals for the R&I group, product OA/QC and product development in the laboratory.
- Participate in customer/vendor interactions and technical discussions.
- Use input from business unit leaders and technical personnel to assess product and fluid systems requirements. Work closely with sales to help support customers.
- Demonstrate basic understanding of the factors required to commercialize new products such as but not limited to production considerations, health, safety, environment, economics, compatibility, storage, and transport.
- Contribute to departmental strategy and provide input on potential lab requirements and improvements.
- Demonstrate proficiency with project management techniques in all job processes.
- Obtain and demonstrate knowledge of company product catalogue and raw materials.
- Apply strong analytical skills to translate customer problems and requests into laboratory procedures that will identify effective products and solutions.
- Adhere to ISO standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a Post Graduate degree in science from a recognized institution (chemistry or engineering related) is preferred.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of work experience in the chemical or related industries is preferred.
- Experience with chemical formulations for the oil and gas or chemical industry.
- Recent hands-on laboratory experience is mandatory.
- Knowledge of drilling and cementing applications is preferred.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Desire and ability for continual improvement and professional development.
- Willingness to learn from colleagues and share personal knowledge with others as required.
- Computer skills including proficiency in the use of MS Office software (Excel, Word & PowerPoint).
We are an award-winning employment agency that finds top talent for exceptional organizations across North America. There are no fees to apply for our jobs or engage with our recruiters to find a new career. Companies hire us to help them grow their teams. All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. This includes having proper documentation, such as a work permit.
Easily manage your email preference and unsubscribe at any time. Aplin does not share your personal data with any third party, and our recruiters do not present your resume to any of our clients without first obtaining your permission.